The List
The Squid List
2012-04-13 16:43:00 UTC
The Squid List

04/13/2012 - A Glass of Cabaret

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/squidlist/~3/-o06f95qa9U/index.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

The 6th Street Cabaret Series continues with
"A Glass of Cabaret"

The 6th Street Playhouse continues its cabaret series with "A Glass of
Cabaret."

6th Street Playhouse and Napa Valley's Lucky Penny Productions team up for
this enchanting evening celebrating lovers and their libation of choice by
“raising a glass to romance!”

Lucky Penny founders Taylor Bartolucci and Barry Martin are joined by
Daniela Innocenti Beem and Anthony Martinez, with Lucas Sherman at the
piano. These four vocal powerhouses, who starred in 6th Street Playhouse
production of "Kiss Me, Kate" (recently voted by San Francisco
BroadwayWorld.com followers as "Musical of the Year"), reunite once again
to celebrate love with songs of romance in the intimate cabaret setting of
the Studio Theatre.

The newest addition to the 6th Street Playhouse production calendar is
“The 6th Street Cabaret Series” presented in The Studio Theatre
throughout the season. “The 6th Street Cabaret Series” offers a chance
for audiences to enjoy musical theater performers in an intimate cabaret
setting.

WHEN: April 13 to April 22, 2012
8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays (April 13, 14, 20 + 21)
2 p.m. Sundays (April 15 + 22)

LOCATION: 6th Street Playhouse
Studio Theatre, 52 West 6th Street, Santa Rosa, CA
Located in historic Railroad Square

TICKETS: $20 to $30
$20 riser seating (all ages) / $30 table seating (all ages)

PHONE: 707-523-4185
Order tickets by telephone, online or purchase at the door.
Reservations recommended.

WEB SITE: www.6thstreetplayhouse.com

CAST: Featuring Taylor Bartolucci, Barry Martin, Daniela Innocenti Beem and
Anthony Martinez with Lucas Sherman at the piano.

PROMO VIDEO: http://animoto.com/play/shLWecxNaYR3CdzuiUY8HQ

04/14/2012 - 'Voices of Youth': An Evening Presentation with Michael Meade,
Youth, + Mentors

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/squidlist/~3/07b8obIGDvY/index.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Amidst economic uncertainties, cultural confusion and the fraying of the
web of nature, the importance of youthful imagination and genuine education
can be lost. As culture in general suffers a deprivation of vital
imagination, young people can feel less needed, less valued, and more at
risk.

This event serves as a community forum in which the voices, feelings,
imagination, and aspirations of diverse youth are recognized and
celebrated. The presentation follows an intensive retreat in which students
and “at-risk youth” study and practice traditional arts and write of
their life-forming and life-threatening experiences.

Please join us for this event in which a “sudden community” forms to
recognize and celebrate the voices of youth and young mentors and the
innate imagination and essential spirit that inspires genuine culture keeps
the elders “young at heart.”

04/27/2012 - Hot Chicks and Homeless Peeps: The Art of Ange McLane

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/squidlist/~3/QHjcs0JN20Y/index.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

The FLOAT Gallery is Proud to present
Hot Chicks and Homeless Peeps: The Art of Ange McLane
Opening party Friday 4/27/12, 6 to 9pm
Featuring the music of Tyler Jakes www.tylerjakes.com/
Show runs 4/16, through 5/26/12
http://thefloatcenter.com/upcoming.html

FLOAT, Floatation Center - Art Gallery
1091 Calcot Place, Unit # 116 (located in a store front loft of the
historic cotton mill studios)
Oakland, CA 94606

“Hot Chicks and Homeless Peeps,” takes risks with the borders of the
acceptable and the risqué.

About Artist Ange McLane
Born in Mexico City to a Mexican mother and American father, Ange McLane
grew up first below the border, and then above, in Texasᅵ"finally
choosing to make her home in the Bay Area, in 2005. Her experience of the
two cultures, and an early exposure to art-making, heavily influence her
current photographic work.

Ange began carrying a camera with her daily at the age of 8, photographing
her friends as well as her own installation art work, which was comprised
at the time of doll nativity scenes and modeling clay cities.
In college, Ange pursued Advertising at the Universidad de la Comunicacion
in Mexico City, Art History at the University of St. Thomas in Houston, TX,
and Fine Art Photography at the Glassell School of Art in Houston. More
recently, she studied Digital Photo-Montage and Experimental Film at the
San Francisco Art Institute.

“Hot Chicks and Homeless Peeps,” takes risks with the borders of the
acceptable and the risqué. Her subjects are not overtly sexy, nor overtly
subjugated. They are complicit with the act of being photographed. She
captures each one’s subtle essence, inviting their revelations, whether
in flesh made visible through lingerie, or in personal message exposed via
cardboard and marker.

She says, “I am interested in the sensuality of the image, the bold
colors, not just in a visual way, but in a contextual way. I enjoy when an
image brings together a balance in light and dark and bold color.”

Of her series of street photographs, Ange describes, “Seven years ago,
while I was studying at the Glassell School of Art, I frequently ventured
into downtown Houston-this was pre-gentrification-with my camera. I was
meeting people that were living on the streets, talking to them. I would
buy them beer or cigarettes and we would talk about their lives. I started
to carry cardboard and markers with me. And I would invite them to share
their real message with the world. This was way before the time of Facebook
and smart phones, way before anyone was carrying a camera and posting their
thoughts with apps.”

Regarding the juxtaposition of the two groups of subjects, Ange’s work
invites the viewer to question assumptions. She says, “With the homeless,
I wanted to portray that beauty and that fight. And when it comes to the
girls, it’s not slutty - they’re just feminine.”
The collection of images in “Hot Chicks and Homeless People” bears
witness to Ange’s natural affinity to bold colors, architectural
composition, and edgy, thought-provoking themes.

FLOAT
An urban art spa is the only floatation center + art gallery in the San
Francisco Bay Area, floatation therapy is a unique and powerful tool that
allows you to shut out the world, and drift into the deepest possible level
of physical and mental relaxation. FLOAT offers new, public exhibits of
local artists to stimulate and challenge your senses.
Come for a Float - Stay for the Art

http://thefloatcenter.com/index.html/
--
You are subscribed to email updates from "The Squid List."

Email delivery powered by Google.